I tried making my second batch of bagels with yuzu flavour and filled with cheddar cheese. The leaked cheese formed a nice thin layer of cheese crisp at one corner of the bagel. And this cheese crisp actually tasted better than those that stayed within the bagel ^^
Ingredients140 g unbleached bread flour
10g superfine wholegrain flour
1g instant dry yeast
12g natural yeast, 100% hydration
5g fine sugar
2g fine salt
15g yuzu drink (Mix 1 tsp of honey citron tea with hot water)
30g shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp raw sugar
Directions1. Mix all the dough ingredients together in a mixing bowl,
and let it rest for 15 minutes.
2. Knead the dough till smooth,
shape into a ball,
place in a mixing bowl coated with some oil, spray some water over the dough,
cover with a lid, and let it proof for 1 hour, or till double in size.
End of first proofing.
3. Invert out the dough and divide it into 4 portions.
shape into 4 balls, cover with a lid, and let them rest for 15 minutes.
3. Roll out a dough into a 5mm thick oval shape flat dough.
Place some shredded cheddar cheese along the edge of a longer end of the dough.
Roll up the dough and seal tight the at the end into a long rope shape.
Roll the dough to shape.
4. Use a rolling pin to flatten one of the ends into a spoon shape.
Bring the other end in and seal up both ends into a bangle shape.
Place the finished dough over a piece of parchment paper.
Spray some water over the dough and let them proof for about 30 minutes in a closed oven.
5. While the dough is proofing, prepare the scalding syrup and preheat the oven to 210°C.
6. When the proofing time is up, drop the dough into the boiling scalding syrup to scald for about 15 seconds on each side. The end product will be more chewy with longer scalding time.
7. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the scalded doughs onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven at 210°C for about 15 to 20 minutes or till the bagels turn golden.