This succulent 叉烧 was first cooked in rice cooker using the normal rice cooking function, then roasted in toaster oven to give it a rosy red and glossy coating.
The rice cooker helps to cook the meat in a high-sugary gravy without burning it, yet preserving the moisture in the meat.
A brief high temperature roasting in the toaster over helps to caramelized the sugar coating to adhere to the meat firmly.
The recipe also allows you to produce a bowl of 叉烧 gravy without having to prepare it separately.
A few easy steps to produce four portions of yummy 叉烧饭 for the family with minimal fuss :)
Yield: 4 adult servings
450~475g collar pork
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp rose wine , optional
1/4 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp raw sugar
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 clove garlic, crushed with skin on
2 大匙 海鲜酱
2 大匙 蚝油
2 小匙 麻油
1 大匙 花雕酒
1 小匙 玫瑰露酒，可免
1/4 小匙 黑酱油
1 大匙 黄糖
1 大匙 黑糖
1 大匙 蜜糖
1 瓣 带衣蒜头，拍扁
1. Cut the meat into 4x3cm cross-section. Rinse and drain.
As the meat will shrink after cooking, so try to cut the meat in thicker pieces.
2. Add all the marinades to the pork in a mixing bowl. Mix with your hand for about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Cover with a lid, and let the meat marinate for at least one hour.
4. Pour all the ingredients into a rice cooker.
5. Stir the ingredients after 20 minutes into cooking. Regular stirring will give a more even heating and coating to the meat.
6. Transfer the cooked meat out of the pot to a grilling rack or parchment paper.
7. Roast the meat at 200 degree Celsius for about 3 minutes in a toaster oven. The high heat will caramelize the sugar on the meat.
End of the roasting process. Allow the 叉烧 to cool down.
8. Pour some water to mix with the remaining sauce in the rice cooker pot. This will become the 叉烧 gravy to be poured over the warm rice during serving.
Serve the sliced char siew with warm rice, cucumber and gravy.